Saturday 10 March 2018

Interview: Tuckage - Invariably



Cover-shot: Tuckage by 90BRO near Seaham
 
With the upcoming release of his fourth solo project; a full-length album titled Invariably, Tuckage has produced a very contemporary sounding rap project all-about the highs and lows of two hectic years.  Mark Tyers caught-up with the La Familia member and full-time  machine-operator to find out more.

Mark Tyers (MT) Congratulations on completing production on your fourth solo project- for those people who don't know you could you explain what La Familia is and your approach to making music?

Tuckage: La Familia is a brand to be honest- we are looking to push the clothing line hopefully this year.  It all started [as] a project name for mine and Sheriff's mixtape, but after a while I thought about branching it out into a group- which I did a short time after.  Right now the approach to what I do is just to love it again.  The last few years have been tough within music but I feel like I’m back on top of things and cementing my name in Sunderland as a young artist.

MT: Where did you record Invariably and what was the process of making it like?

TuckageThis project is all recorded mixed and mastered by me.  I have a little studio in my house so I just use that whenever I wanna get anything down.  I have had a few project thoughts these past 2 year since I dropped a solo project, I just wanted to put all my thoughts and feelings together about what’s happened these past few year [and] I think I got a lot of that down, but the best is still yet to come and I have still got loads to speak about which makes me wanna keep pushing.  Not only just me, La Familia and a few others who I’ve became good friends with [whose music] also really inspires me.



 La Familia performing on stage at Shutdown in Independent - February 2018 by Mark Tyers

MT: As a solo artist you've got a reputation for not being afraid to share what's on your mind. With this album did you have to reign that in at all in order to better collaborate with Sheriff and Mc Halo?

TuckageHonestly I just say what I feel on every track with Sheriff and [MC] Halo.  For people who don’t know we are all cousins so we know everything about eachother, these type of vibes can’t be matched.  We have grew up together, especially me and Sheriff.  We are in the same year so we went to the same school- the level of trust is something that you definitely need within the music business which [is something] I’ve truly learnt the hard way over the years.

MT: You guys headlined Shutdown at Independent a few weeks ago, how did it go from your perspective?

TuckageThe show was unreal!.  We came a bit late which we apologised to certain people who had performed beforehand, which I’m not gonna get into, but I will definitely be putting on another gig in the near future and be asking the [same] artists to perform at my show.  The only thing was we got took off stage early, but we can’t moan we had a good night and went to an after party.  90BRO and Max [Gavins] came back with us, it was one of the best shows yet!  There is more to come from all the artists who performed so keep pushing and believing in your work!
 
MT: What's the future got in store for you and La Familia?

TuckageLa Familia has an EP we are working on.  3 tracks are complete already - it’s just about linking and creating the vibes now.  With us [in La Familia] working different shifts and stuff we try to make as much time as possible to get together, but even if we can’t we always stay in touch.  For me three is no stopping my work, I’m far from finished, I just wanna keep pushing my team and good people around me.

  Shutdown Hip-Hop and Grime Showcase, Independent Sunderland - February 2018 by Mark Tyers

MT:  Is an NNE comeback on the cards?

TuckageUnfortunately I don’t think that will ever happen.  I still keep in touch with certain members, I don’t really know what the future holds but we shall see.  I did believe in NNE so much [that] when we did fall apart I lost a lot of motivation and love for music, which I never wanna do again.  So I’ve kinda put that whole thing behind me, I’m just pushing my team and who ever keeps it real with me.

Tuckage's Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/corey-tuckage-bell

La Familia Four are on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Lafamiliafour4/

    

No comments:

Post a Comment