Monday 12 February 2018

Interview: Jonathan Honour - Experience


Originally hailing from Peterlee, Jonathan Honour is one of those people that keeps the NE music scene turning. Always up for a solo set in his time-off work, he travels the NE more than most and also front's Alternative/Indie rock band Nobody's Heroes. With the release of his first album, Experience, Mark Tyers caught up with the singer-songwriter to get his take on the album and the health of the regions grassroots live music scene.


Mark Tyers (MT): So Experience is finally here, how are you feeling?

Jonathan Honour (JH): I'm feeling great thanks, it's one of the greatest moments of my life. It's something that was years in the making and it feels like I have achieved something. This is what I've always wanted, for people to hear and enjoy my music in the same way that I enjoy music.

MT: When you set out to make Experience, what were you aiming to achieve?

JH: I've always just been looking to reproduce the tunes going round my head- it's very cathartic. I wanted to make songs full of catchy hooks with meaningful lyrics people can relate to and I believe I have done. It makes me so happy to create music and hear it played back.

MT: Could you talk us through your album making process? I understand some of the songs were written a few years ago and some much more recently?

JH: They were all recorded in around 5 different recording sessions over a five year period as I took time out when I became a parent. The earlier ones were far more punk based and the latter ones are far more poppy and melodic. I recorded many of the parts myself with help from some friends and band members.



MT: The artwork on the album is certainly eye-catching, whose the artist?

JH: I love the artwork I wanted something in homage to classic punk and rock-n-roll albums-very retro with a modern twist as I think it sums up the music. The artists were Lauren Waite and Sarah Bentham at the Catalyst Effect who are lovely people who share many of the same beliefs and values as me.

MT: What do you make of the NE Live music scene at the moment?

JH: It's increasingly difficult for original artists to survive in the local scene, especially alternative ones like me. A lot of it boils down to what's in the mainstream and it would be nice to see more variety like you did 20 years ago and less X-factor style artists! I'm not denying their talent but many lack creativity. There's still much original talent out there in our area.

MT: When and where can people catch you performing live?

JH: I've been gigging steadily over the last few years just having great fun playing both solo acoustic shows and with my alternative band Nobody's heroes. I'm playing the Voltiguer in Spennymoor on Sunday 11th February, Live in Durham 15th February and the Grey Horse in Ferryhill 1st April- all solo shows of originals and covers.

Experience by Jonathan Honour is available to stream or download on Spotify, iTunes, Deezer, Amazon and many other music websites.


No comments:

Post a Comment