Sunday 17 December 2017

Interview: Lauren Elise Sutcliffe - lead singer of Hivemind

"I used to be into performance when I was younger but I had the confidence kicked out of me in school, literally"


Hivemind (Photo: Colin Sutcliffe)

The lead-singer of one of Sunderland's best unsigned acts airs her views on Sunderland's City of Culture bid, Hivemind's year and THAT pub 'banning female fronted bands'.

Mark Tyers: People know you as the the lead singer of Hivemind - how's your collective 2017 been? You seem to have racked up plenty of gigs around the region- what were the highlights?

Lauren Elise Sutcliffe: 2017 has been such a turning point for the band. I really feel this year has been huge for us in terms of our sound evolving, and it really shows in our live performances to. You have so much more confidence when you're playing music that has been created out of pure spontaneity, and I think it's a sign that we all work really well as a collective. We no longer sound like a band that imitates their influences, instead we have developed a sound that I really believe is unique to Hivemind. The highlight for me personally was supporting My Vitriol at the O2 Academy - I felt like the crowd truly appreciated our music.

MT: I can remember seeing you perform with Hivemind for the first time at BTypes birthday gig last year. Since then it seems like you've really grown into the role, could you talk us through that process?

LS: I used to be into performance when I was younger but I had the confidence kicked out of me in school, literally. It affected me for years. I really yearned to be back on the stage- joining Hivemind brought me out of my shell again and made me realise how much I love being on stage.

MT: Who influences and inspires you creatively in terms of music, fashion etc?

LS: I've always been a creative person, I was much happier as a kid in my room drawing, writing and playing my keyboard. My number one inspiration has always been my emotions, because they tend to overwhelm me, and creating music or art is just a natural response to them for me. Sadness is inspiring, but so is happiness, anger, resentment, regret, jealousy, loneliness, being in love. 

 Me and my sister were brought up practically single handed by my mother as my dad worked away in the Navy, so I have to say my musical influences aren't cool or very rock and roll. Apart from when my dad was home and he'd play Oasis, The Verve and all the other Britpop bands. My mother loved George Michael, Celine Dione and Shania Twain and bombarded us with 80s music at full volume. Now, I'm inspired by Lana Del Rey, Marina and The Diamonds and Marilyn Manson to name a few, it's an eclectic mix. and I think Hivemind has an eclectic sound.

MT: What do you make of Doc Browns pub in Middlesbrough 'banning female fronted rock bands' from performing in the venue? The story has really struck a nerve worldwide - so much so that the landlord felt compelled to respond to criticism and claim there wasn't such a ban in the first place!

LS: I really dont understand their motive in going to the press with that story. We live in such a progressive society now, their views and stance on women seems very outdated, then again I think it speaks volumes of their clientele - probably chauvinistic men in their 60s who think women belong in the kitchen.

MT: What did you make of Sunderland's bid for City of Culture 2021? Did you and the band feel included in the campaign?

LS: I felt the 2021 bid could have been much better to be honest. More music and arts events could definitely have been organised, but it's all down to funding. How could we expect to win the title of city of culture when our only Central Library has been closed due to budget cuts? It's shocking [Ed: Sunderland's central library was closed and downgraded into a single room in the Winter Gardens].

MT: You are performing solo as a support act at BTypes Christmas gig [Friday 22 December, 8pm at The Borough, Sunderland]- what can people expect?

LS: I'll be performing with a special guest. I haven't quite plucked up the courage to go fully solo in terms of me and just a guitar. I'm working on that, maybe 2019 will be the year I do that. But it's acoustic, it's stripped back and I'll be doing a selection of covers by artists that inspire me greatly. I've got an opportunity to perform and show the other side of me, as my Hivemind stage persona is a far cry from who the real me is.

Lauren Elise Sutcliffe is performing at The BType Christmas Show on Friday 22 December from 8pm at The Borough, 1 Vine Place, Sunderland. SR1 3NE. Full details can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/events/152009745419859/

Hivemind are a rock 4-piece from Sunderland – for music and more check out: https://www.hivemindmusic.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment