Wednesday 29 November 2017

Stephen 'Oxjam' Ferrell – the 5 minute interview

Oxjam Live: Volume 1 Out Now on Bandcamp – Support Oxfam and help tackle global poverty

 
 
After performing a set on the pulpit-like oxjam stage at Tynemouth Market, Mark Tyers interviewed the man behind 2017's abundance of Oxjam gigs – Stephen Ferrell [Pictured].


Mark Tyers (MT): How has Oxjam Newcastle's year gone? You've put on a huge number of events!

Stephen 'Oxjam' Ferrell (SF): We've put on 30 [Ed: actually 33] days worth of events this year, including some multi-day events like this two day one at Tynemouth Market.

MT: That's got to be way more than last year! What caused that?

SF: Last year we had 7 days worth of events, the year before; 5 days. This is the 4th year I've done it. Basically at the end of last year, the entire team I had quit. I'd been doing it for 3 years, I was at the point where I almost quit myself and I was like...I've got two choices: I can either quit or if I stick about it's got to be bigger than ever so that's the option I went with - you know, if we're going to make it big, we're going to make it BIG!.

I started booking loads of events at the start of this year at the time when I had absolutely no team but I just booked events on the basis that the more it looked like we were doing the more people would want to be involved and it kind of worked – we've had a really big team this year.

MT: And you went back to Sunderland this year...

SF: Back to Sunderland for the first time since 2014. The reason being there were actually people involved from Sunderland that year who really wanted to do stuff in Sunderland. We used Independent that year and had Jar Family, Cohesion, Good Friends... so good lineup. It did alright but it's much harder for us to promote in Sunderland because I'm based in Newcastle and I didn't know Sunderland at all really. But this year because we're going so big, we're going everywhere, we're going down the coast, this was a good time to do Sunderland again.

MT: It didn't go too badly at all did it?

SF: I think Sunderland went really well this year, we raised £300. I think what really helped was having a Sunderland based band – Pussy Willow [Furry Venus], they definetly brought a lot of the crowd. We had a really good lineup, I'd definetly like to do Sunderland again this year.

There are stages, then there are STAGES - Oxjam at Tynemouth Market

MT: Could you talk a little bit about Nova Radio and your involvement with them?

SF: They're an online community radio station based in Newcastle. I started presenting [the local music, then the Oxjam show] for them a few weeks before the festival last year. I decided I wanted to comeback this year. It's about to restart in a couple of weeks...Sunday morning 10am-12pm.

MT: What have you got lined up for next year? Even more gigs? [laughs]

SF: Before we start booking stuff up for next year we're going to have a few team meetings and find out what the team wants to do, which is a really good position to be in [compared to the start of this year]... I think we're going to be cutting it down a bit next year, less events. One of the problems this year with doing so many events [was that] it got to the point where some of them, you can't put the promotion effort in [that you would ideally want] because there's another event so close to it. It starts really restricting what you can do promotion-wise, you can't ask the team to make that big a commitment. [Also] to be honest there's loads of great performers about but it does get to the point eventually where there's only so many performers about and there's only so many times you can ask them to perform!

One other thing to mention, we've got the first Oxjam album coming out this week. We took 10 bands and 2 performers that played at our festival and got them in the Blast studio to record the album. 
 
Oxjam Live: Volume 1 Out Now on Bandcamp – all donations go towards Oxfam's vital global anti-poverty work




No comments:

Post a Comment