Monday 29 August 2016

Man like ABSORB

 

No other north east MC gets as much radio air-time, or is as well known outside the region as ABSORB is. No other north east rap act scores as many big time support slots either - the Lanchester MC has supported Skepta, Section Boyz, Dead Prez and a few other big names. So what's the man been up to in 2016 and what has he got in store for the punters at Independent, Sunderland on the 3 September?


Mark Tyers: How did you end up getting a set on the Shahlaa Discovers showcase stage at Camberwell Fair and how did it go?


ABSORB: I've been supporting Shahlaa's radio shows for a couple of years now and she champions unsigned artists from across the UK. I found her through Twitter and she's played a number of my tracks as well as having interviewed me live on air.


The gig itself was incredible. I was the only artist chosen from outside of London and I was lucky enough to be selected to play around half-way through the showcase, meaning I was able to watch a few of the acts who were on before me. Every artist was given fifteen minutes and I had the chance to give a much more low key performance, as that seemed to be the order of the day from those who had performed me, but instead I chose to go hyper and I got a great reaction. I perform in that manner locally so I felt it was important to continue that. It was my chance to stand out so I took it.



MT: You've scored a few big support slots this year including warming up for Section Boyz at Newcastle University. What's been the most memorable gig you've performed at in 2016 so far and why?


ABSORB: The #ShahlaaDiscovers gig in London was unreal and supporting Section Boyz was really really cool, but I think opening for Dead Prez in March at the O2 Academy in Newcastle is so far my stand out gig of the year. I got the call three hours before I had to be there as no support had been booked. Before that date I hadn't gigged in around five months, so with no prep and no rehearsals, my drummer Oscar Cassidy, who stepped in as my DJ on that night, and I cobbled a set together and we smashed it. It was an incredible experience!


MT: Your next gig is at Independent on the 3 September supporting New North East. Could you tell us a little bit about the band you've assembled for it?


ABSORB: When I was last approached to perform at Independent, I brought Hadoshrooms, my DJ, for a high energy DJ/MC set, but this time, and as promised, I'm bringing my drummer Oscar Cassidy along to, to give the set some added punch. You may or may not see an additional element to my set. You'll have to be there to find out what it is.


MT: How did you meet Hadoshrooms and Oscar Cassidy and could you tell us a little about them – they're not your average backing band members!


ABSORB: I've been lucky enough to be part of a couple of Newcastle-based bands over the years and Oscar was always on my radar as someone to approach when the time was right to step out on my own and do my own thing. He plays in a number of different bands, across a number of different genres, which in turn really helps when it comes to our ABSORB LIVE gigs because he takes his influences from so many different places.


Hadoshrooms is such a guy because he saved me in my hour of need last year. Head over to the guest blog [http://urbandevelopment.co.uk/blog/snackchat-guest-blog-ABSORB-7042] which I wrote last year to find out how he became such an integral part of my live performances. He competes in Street Fighter tournaments across the world and he keeps ducks. How many DJs do you know who do that? What a guy!


The complete ABSORB LIVE band now comprises of Oscar on drums, Bren on violin/synth, Hadoshrooms my DJ as well as James on keys. My live set up can play in a number of different guises depending on who is available as well as what kind of gig/event we've been booked for.



MT: What do you think about Lord of the Mics, Don't Flop and clashes/battles?


ABSORB: They're awesome. The battle arena has given so many artists a platform to really go on and make a huge name for themselves.


MT: Have you got any musical plans in place for the rest of the year and 2017?


ABSORB: There are a number of things in the pipeline which I'm really excited about including releases, videos and hopefully another gig before the year is out.


MT: Is there anything else you would like to say?


ABSORB: Find me online over at www.ABSORBonline.com and follow me across my social media profiles for exclusive news, music, videos and behind-the-scenes action.

ABSORB LIVE are supporting New North East in Independent (Holmeside, Sunderland) on Saturday 3 September. Doors open 7pm and tickets are £5 on the door - https://www.facebook.com/events/1209845549071972/
 


No comments:

Post a Comment